Monday, November 14, 2011

Refinished Buffet

Happy Monday, everyone! I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend! My blog launch week is coming to a close. How fun it is to share all my projects with you! I have enjoyed reading all the comments and emails.  Does this sound like a goodbye note or what? Well, it's not. I'm just getting warmed up! I wanted to let you all know that I will be posting on my blog on a semi-weekly to weekly basis from now on - unless I just get so excited about something and need to let you in on it. Thank you to everyone who supports me on my fun blogging ride. Please keep leaving comments or questions about any post. If you have a blog you'd like me to check out, sign up to be a follower and leave your URL and I will return the favor!! Thanks again and have an awesome DIYer week!!


On one of my lunch break trips to the DI, I spotted this extremely large vintage buffet/sideboard.  She was very used up and smelled like..well..like a thrift store.  For $25, I saw the potential in her and decided she just needed to be prettied up and loved again.



This was definitely stored in someone's dark and creepy basement or garage because I found tons of creepy crawly homes.  Ugghh...  I hate spiders...  

Don't you just love these handles?


This was a great solid piece and I couldn't get all the deep dents on the top sanded away with just my sand block.  So Mr. S and I took a trip down to Lowes and bought a DeWalt electric sander.  Yay!  Another "Investment Tool".


Make sure you use a dust mask and goggles when using a sander, this stuff gets messy!


Here's what it looked like sanded down.  It was so smooth!  I just lightly sanded the rest of the buffet down with the block since I decided I was going to antique it after painting.  I wanted to highlight all the perfect imperfections in the woodwork.


I applied some Brass-o on the hardware and wiped away all the tarnish and gunk.  Ewww...  See the difference?  By the way, make sure if you use Brass-o, to be in a very ventilated area.  This stuff will make you cough and gag - it's pretty smelly!


My garage became a crazy cramped mess after painting on my Glidden (Primer + Paint) Granny Smith Apple paint.  I promise it's all cleaned up now!


Finished!


All sparkly and new!


I added a touch of French Country...


Magnifique!  So, did it fit in my dining room?  Nope!  It was too deep for the space.  What to do... what to do...  *Light bulb moment!*


Ever since I met Nichole and Shaun, owners of Tookiloo (my fave high-end consignment store in downtown Ogden) and one of my insurance clients (Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you, I lead a double life - Insurance Agent by day, savior of neglected furniture by night!), I had been toying around with the idea of consigning some of my work out.  I figured, I spent very little money on this, what do I have to lose?  I had some help from Mr. S and his brother hauling it over to the store, signed a contract and hoped for the best!  


A week and half later: SOLD!!!  Unreal!!  I get to make money while doing something I love?!  How great is that?  A word of advice for those who want to consign:  Go for it!  Head first, right into the water!


If you happen to be in the area, check out Tookiloo.  They're at 2246 Washington Blvd, Ogden, UT - on the east side of the road.  I looooove this store!

A look at next week's post:  $300 asking price..SOLD for $15!!!!  My new dining set.


~*Abigail*~







5 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Oh my goodness! You should share this with some linking parties! Here is a list of some of them that I think would work for you: http://www.morganandkari.com/p/parties-im-linking-up-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dresser redo! I find myself doing some sort of project like this at least once a year it seems! For me it can be relaxing and fun! I am looking for bloggers to participate in 25 Day's of Christmas Blogshare...check out the post and leave a comment if you are interested in participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my luv the redo and the additional paper.
    I would luv to invite you to share your talent with us at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-2011-planner-tutorial-with.html
    Our readers will enjoy discovering your blog.
    Happy Crafting,
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from Savvy Southern Style... great post! i love finding and restoring old pieces and it was fun to see the process. I'll check back about that dining room set...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you post on here!!! It's so pretty!!! Now can you please move over here so we can do projects together??? I've been looking for a buffet table forever now and haven't found the right one...

    ReplyDelete