Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mr. and Mrs. Smitten, Your Suite is Ready... Master Bedroom Reveal

There were a handful of delays before I was able to get to this point...  Aaaah yes, the reveal of my home getaway-within-the-home is finally here.  If you need a reminder of how this room used to look, check out my past post, A Terrifying Tale of Blue Bathroom Counter tops and a Neglected Master Bedroom.  It was pretty mundane and was crammed full of safety hazards.  We can't afford to take too many vacations, so I was stuck here.  Depressing, no?  Well, I don't do depressed.  It just isn't in me to wallow in my sorrows and pity myself.  I decided to bring the hotel vibe into my bedroom - and yes, it turned out just as fabulous as I imagined it would be.

Before I let you in, let's recap on my goals for this room:

1)  Paint some walls - Check!
2)  Replace the eye illusion bathroom counter tops and give the heave ho to the sinks and faucets - Future Project, not a Fail
3)  Tear out the safety hazard carpet and install some new flooring - Check!
4)  Add some eye candy to my bedroom walls and extra wow factor to everything else - Check!
5)  Dump the overweight (used to be cool) TV in another room.  Maybe a future guest room? - Checkity Check!

Come on in for some R & R...

Go ahead, it's okay to gasp.  I do every time I open my bedroom door.  Oh how I love it so!!  I am so *smitten* with how well this turned out, I'm wondering if I should pinch myself to check if I'm dreaming!

Sorry, I cannot do without the ceiling fan.  I have a west facing bedroom.  Summers are brutal for us!

 I've divided my project into three areas.  #1 is my Bed Area.  No, I didn't change the actual bed.  I did change (about three times) the bedding, added some fab eye candy on my nightstands, whipped up some abstract art work above the headboard and added a touch of hotel glam with the curtains.

Bedding: Ikea $40, HomeGoods $40 and Ross $12, Curtains: Ross $8
 My nightstand vignette.
Lamp: HomeGoods $29 ea, Clock: HomeGoods: $10, Horse: Spray painted it after I brought it home from the DI for 50 cents.  Notebooks: Target (because they were gray and yellow)
 Mr. Smitten's more masculine nightstand vignette.
He wouldn't let me get rid of the old clock.  He calls it dependable, I call it retro.
 I couldn't not let you in on a little night time ambiance. The combination of the lighting and the curtains is fantastic at night.  Even I wasn't planning on this at all.  What a wonderful surprise!

This picture doesn't do the room quite enough justice.
 I wanted to add some art to my walls, but didn't want to spend a fortune.  I took a trip to Walmart and picked up some canvases in their "art" section, played around with some paint samples I had purchased previous to the bedroom makeover idea and came up with these:

Canvases: Walmart $7 for pack of 2

I liked that I applied different colors and textures and was very satisfied with my $14.00 and 2 hour investment.

I told you I was doing something with that branch!
 Next area is the side of the room that holds my dresser.  I mentioned that I was bored bored bored (I am always bored)!  I wasn't planning on painting it, but received some great advice to paint only the trim and knobs.  (Thanks, Winnie!)  It now has a fresh look and I didn't break the bank doing it.  I only used about a quarter of a Valspar paint sample which is only $3.00 each!

Glamorous with a touch of Contemporary
 I picked apart some pieces from around the house and added it to the top of my dresser.  I now have a big void where this painting used to hang.  I guess I have to go shopping for the living room again... darn.

Purchased these from Kohls, HomeGoods, DownEast, the DI and Scentsy
 It's time for Area #3.  This is my favorite part of the room.  I heart this space so much!  This area is the vanity/sitting area.  This took weeks to complete - finding the perfect touches within the budget and wishing and hoping the one vanity that I would fall head over heels for would magically turn up out of the blue was driving me crazy.  If I want to beautify myself, I want the space to be beautiful as well.  After more patience than I'd like to give, everything fell into place (this morning).

I am loving this beveled mirror desk!  The ENTIRE desk is covered with beveled mirrors!!  
 My vanity vignette with plenty of space and function for my daily morning makeup routine.

My favorite jewelry present from the hubby sits within arms reach.  I love my pearls!
 I am still flabbergasted with all my finds from our local DI.  I found this wooden couple sculpture for $1.00.  All I had to do was add a coat of paint a voila!  Sleek perfection and awesomely appropriate for this room.  The liquor goblet was $2.00 and all I did to dress it up was add one of my favorite to wear necklaces.  This has two purposes - to make this goblet look extra faboosh and also so it's an easy daily reach for my office outfits (can't go wrong with a simple, yet stylish white gold necklace).


Since my desk doesn't boast with much storage, I opted for a simple box/basket from Ikea for all my hairstyling tools.  I am also loving this Tobias chair also from Ikea.

I heart my MK purse.  Its color tied in perfectly with my current color scheme.
 So there you have it.  You can get away from the rest of your home and pretend you're on a little vacay with touches of hotel chic in your own bedroom!  Let me know how it turns out for you!

I'll have to let you go now.  This girl is in much need of some makeup and hair makeover at her stunning new vanity!

Zero makeup!!  AAaaaagghhh!
 Sorry, I have to do it again...

*Gasp*

  
Keep your eyes out for my next mystery project:

Jello Molds = Glam?  You'll definitely have to see it to believe it!
jello-molds1

~*Abigail*~


Linking up to Savvy Southern Style

36 comments:

  1. Wow, what a gorgeous room! I love every single detail. Nice purse too!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natasha! This is my fave room in the house now!

      Delete
  2. wow! I love the vanity area and the floors! great job abby!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Oitai!!!!! I loooooooooove the vanity area so much especially when the light is coming in through the windows.

      Delete
  3. Looooove it!!!! I need to do a master BR makeover....but it's like last on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winnie, that's because your room already looks good! No need right now. :)

      Delete
  4. This is absolutely gorgeous! I would love to have this as my master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm loving this master bdrm vibe! You should go for it!

      Delete
  5. Wow, this looks absolutely beautiful! Very elegant and chic! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! I was so hoping everyone would see it that way because that's the exact look I was going for! :)

      Delete
  6. That branch is genius! I'd love to incorporate that somehow into my house. Thank you for the inspiration! The color of the walls, too, is fabulous, as well as the "hotel curtains." Very elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kirsten - that branch was randomly brought home by the hubby. :). Just make sure that you use some heavy duty anchors when hanging it. I'm glad to help out with ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is seriously beautiful! I do feel like I just stepped in a suite. All the details are perfect and coordinate nicely. Gotta poke around your blog a little more. Visiting from Tip Junkie party. With love, My

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My, oh please do take a look around! I just started the blog a few months ago, but I've got tons of posts in the works. One room at a time, right? Don't forget to sign up as a follower if you like what you see :)
      Abigail

      Delete
  9. Beautiful!! I'm not surprised that you're smitten, I would be too if this is what my room looked like :-) All the little details come together perfectly. Where did you find that amazing desk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori - thank you! I found that fabulous desk at Downeast in downtown Ogden, UT :)

      Delete
  10. i loooove that rug, and the curtains behind the bed even tho there's no window there. that's a great and unique idea! enjoy your new space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I purchased the rug at The Home Depot for a discount! Who would have guessed that the sold fabulous rugs?!
      Abigail

      Delete
  11. I love your bedroom, it is just perfect! We have been working on ours for awhile now, I just keep changing my mind about where I want things to be! Love your style!

    :)
    Lauren D.
    besweetlyinspired.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren,
      It took a really long time for me decide on how I want to feel when I walk into my bedroom. Just go with your gut and it will turn out fabulous! Thank you for your sweet comment!
      Abigail

      Delete
  12. Looks comfy and cozy! Doesn't it feel great to have a bedroom that you love?!? I'm working on mine right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin,
      It is super cozy! :). Let me know how yours turns out!

      Abigail

      Delete
  13. This is beautiful! I love the colors that you picked out and the curtains on the sides of the bed really add alot! I really like your style!! I'm a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrissy! Thank you for signing up as a follower. I've got tons of work in the house so you'll see different styles scattered throughout the house. :). Next up: living room! It's going to be a fun makeover!
      Abigail

      Delete
  14. It's beautiful! What a serene and peaceful setting.

    I smiled at your husband's Terry Brooks book - my husband has that one!

    Lisa @ Paintbrush & Screwdriver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - thank you! I told my husband that your husband has the same book and his response was: Smart guy.

      :)
      Abigail

      Delete
  15. I love the curtains you used behind the bed and that branch looks awesome on the wall!! Definitely hotel glam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! I used the suite we stayed at the Venetian as inspiration. I wanted to simplify the look and the budget as well with just two panels. I'm glad you like it!

      Abigail

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! I absolutely love my bedroom now!

      Delete
  17. Hello Smitten! Would you mind sharing the paint color? It is hard to find that exact shade, at least for me? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, I will have to get back to you on the dark brown accent color - gotta dig through my paint chips. The greige is called Chinchilla white by ICI Glidden. Looooove this color! I hope that helps!

      Abigail

      Delete
  18. Abigail! Holy mack lady!!! I can't believe the transformation, your new master bedroom looks amazing! Can I come stay with you now? :)

    I am really blown away by the fabulous finds from the DI and I can't believe how well everything flowed together.

    Kudos!
    Halsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halsey - you crack me up! Holy Mack - never heard that one before. Love it! Lol.
      Anyhoo, thank you so much! I'm so happy with the way it turned out. I'm starting to toy around with some ideas for the guest bedroom and now I'm completely stumped on a color scheme! However that turns out, I hope I give you the same reaction ;)
      Abigail

      Delete
  19. Terrific looking room! I absolutely love the rug. Newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Miss Charming,
    Thank you so much for following! The 8x10 rug was a steal for $160 at Home Depot! :)
    Abigail

    ReplyDelete