Saturday, December 31, 2011

From Girly Fru Fru to Girly Chic - Bedroom Makeover Reveal



Last week, I told you about my daughter's request for a room revamp.  Although I won't miss the neon bright colors from what her walls used to wear, I will forever miss the time when she was all about pink: ballet slippers, fairies and fru fru.  For all the moms and dads out there, cherish the pink.  You can't imagine how bad you'll want this part of your daughter's era back once it's left.

I left you with a bit of teaser and didn't share with you what my daughter and I decided on for colors and decor.  Sorry!  I thought it was a bit funny to leave you hanging.  Someone told me last week to remember that this was "her room".  She should be able to make the decisions.  I agree, but at the same time - she's eight years old.  She's not quite there yet where she can independently choose a color scheme for herself.  I did, however, give her a few color palettes to choose from.  To my surprise, she chose my favorite: gray, white and purple.  I also asked her if she would like gold accents or silver ones.  She chose silver.  She also told me she wanted to have owls and sea shells in her room.  AND she didn't want to have a bulky comforter on her bed - "It just gets too hot," she says.  My very first "client" was quite a demanding one once I sat her down for some ideas.

I put together an inspiration board to get started: paint cards, fabric swatches and magazine cutouts.  Hmmm.. this was going to be a bit straining on the budget - being Christmas time and my daughter's birthday falling in the first week of January.  What to do.. What to do..  It turns out this project came at the perfect time after all!  Grandpa Jun came to the rescue and offered to sponsor this change as her birthday present.  Sweet!  I had a $300.00 budget.  Thank you, Grandpa!  Just perfect since I know how to bargain shop like no other!  I had no time to waste - I had exactly a week and a half to put this project to bed.  I started as soon as I cashed in that birthday present.

Okay, no more waiting.  Here you go.
Before:

After:



Do you love it?  My daughter adores her new room because she feels like a "big girl" now.  She's also thankful she can sleep in her bed again.  (I kicked her out for a couple nights and sent her to the couch because the paint fumes were just too strong.)

I still have to find a great full length mirror to add to the wall beside the closet.
For the paint on the walls, we chose Valspar's Urban Sunrise in Satin.  I am Valspar's newest fan.  Their paint covers so well that I didn't even have to finish off the whole gallon of paint.  Two coats was perfect!


For the color scheme, I chose to go with the 60-30-10 rule.  60% grey: walls, blanket,  30% white/cream: furniture, accents  10% purple: pillows, touches of decor here and there.  This rule is a god-send!  It creates a perfect balance for any room.  You can change it up a bit with different shades of each color you choose.


These bookshelves cost about $25.00 a pop from Walmart.  They originally had the cheap wood finish to them.  I figured, they're so cheap!  What a deal - I'll just paint them white!  I didn't have time to order the already white finished bookshelves online and wait for them to show up after my daughter's birthday.  Oh... how I wish I had the time.  These shelves were a b!$@* to paint!  I had to primer them with two coats and finish off with 3 coats of paint on top of that.  Five coats!!!  So if you're NOT in a time bind and still on a budget, order them online!  They are only $10.00 more each and you can ship them to your nearest Walmart for free.  Trust me.


Collected a ton of DI finds.


Seashells!


My daughter loves to collect rocks so she wanted to show off a few of her favorites.


Here's her mask from her Marie-Antoinette inspired masquerade ball (birthday party) from last year.  I'll have to show you all some pics.  It was a hit!


One of her all time favorite Disney movies is Cinderella, so it was only natural for her to beg for this $4.00 glass slipper find at Ross.  I added this little pumpkin that I painted purple to theme up this shelf.  Aaand... another rock proudly placed by my daughter.

Roald Dahl is the best!
Pulled off the seashells and owls demand.
I painted the above owl with some paint samples from Lowes.  It definitely was screaming the vintage orange and brown look and needed an update.


It was also a pepper shaker in a past life.


To keep her room from looking too grown-up, I had her choose her favorite stuffed animals to sit atop her bookshelves.

These are fabulous reads for children and adults.  The third book is floating around this house somewhere...


I found these great faux flowers at DownEast.  I heart that store.  Ranging from $3.00 to $5.00 a stem, it's definitely a steal compared to the original $24.00 price tag.


I added a little glam to her simple table with this fabulous clearance lamp from HomeGoods.  $22.00!  Wow!  Can't get much better than that!


When I first discovered Joss and Main, it was hook, line and sinker!  I was madly in lurve!!!  I saw this mirror and thought it would be perfect for above the bed.  Of course, I had to look at the price.  Clearance! $210.95!  What a deal, right?  No... Not really.  I opted against spending most of the budget on the mirror and decided to use it as inspiration instead.


So, what do I find at HomeGoods??  A circular white mirror with a fantastic frame for $19.99.


A furry Mongolian Wool pillow half off the $39.99 price tag from Pier1 - that fits in the budget!


This Scentsy Buddy holds a scented pouch through a slit on the back.  I bought this almost a year ago and it still smells so good!


Yet another HomeGoods find - thought this little rug was fun and received my daughter's nod of approval.


I am amazed with the great finds I acquired from Ross for the bedding.  This gray blanket is actually a throw and is super plush.  I found a great white aridonack faux fur blanket for the main sleeping blanket.  Not too thick, not to thin - just perfect for Little Miss Smitten's moody bedtime temperature.  For the sheet set that I also found at Ross: a 600 thread count Tommy Hilfiger twin set in white.


Just in case she gets cold, I added a couple extra blankets in this wicker basket that my sister gave me.

I hope this inspires you to get started on your bedroom makeover.  I cannot stress enough that paint makes a HUGE impact and if you use the 60-30-10 rule, it so easy to just switch out the 10% if you grow tired of it.

Another glance : From Girly Fru Fru to Girly Chic:

Before:

After:

Future Blog Post Sneak Peak:

I've got plans.. big plans..  You won't see the reveal for a couple of weeks, but go ahead and ask yourself:

What the heck is she going to do with that?



~*Abigail*~


Check out this post on

26 comments:

  1. Abigail, this is a stunning makeover! I love the room. :) I'd love to feature this post, but I don't see a link back to my party. If you could add a link back to me in your post, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No really!!! I'm not kidding!!! It's time to move over here NOW!!! I love what you did with this room!!! It's perfect!!! I really wish you lived near by so when I find something interesting that needs little color/imagination I can run to you house and ask what you think.

    So for my new years resolution I plan to fix up our house... Crossing my fingers!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, Thank you! So flattering that you like it! Your blog is amazing and I'm always waiting for a new post from you. :). Your linky is on my sidebar.

    Thanks,
    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ace- hahaha. You're hilarious! I do miss California at times, but don't think I can live there again. Wayyyy to busy for me. :)
    You can send me a picture of some of your rooms and I can shoot over some ideas if you want. I've got tons of ideas, but only a few more rooms in my house to apply it to.
    <3,
    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your post. Great pictures and so many wonderful ideas. The owls are my favorite.
    Love you blog!

    Buffie
    http://papercuts4u.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buffie - I'm definitely checking out your blog! My daughter surprised me with the owl idea, but it turned out great! Hopefully she'll love interior decorating as much as I do when she gets a bit older so I'll have a shopping buddy. Lol. Thanks so much for taking a look!

    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the After... and the color scheme is Beautiful... Love the Two Bust on the Bookcase of the Boy and Girl... would love to invite you to my party at http://shoprubyjean.com/2012/01/sew-crafty-tuesday-linky-4-and-giveaway/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruby jean- I would love to join your linky party! Thank you for the invite! Those busts were a great find at our local thrift store chain here in Utah for $1 a piece! They're vintage busts from the 60s. :)
    -Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow it looks gorgeous! new liker via Boerman Ramblings from studiousstitch.blogspot.com
    :

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found your post thru Sew Crafty Tuesday. I LOVE the after. What an amazing makeover! I love the soothing gray background and the punches of light purple for accents. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This room makeover is so pretty;)
    Love it!
    Really nice job!

    Lovely greetings...

    http://pudel-design.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michelle- there's just something about using gray as a neutral that's calming.
    Thank you do much for taking a look!

    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lydia - oh my heck! You're blog is a-ma-zing! I love meeting fellow artists! You do fantastic work!

    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girls stop liking pink?!? I love pick. My 3 girls are under 4 so we are loving pink right now. LOVE this room transformation. So must be thrilled. I am a new follower visiting from Fireflies and JellyBeans. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vicky - unfortunately, my little girl "quit pink". :(. I hope yours never do. :). Thanks for the comment. Ill be checking out your blog very soon. :)

    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my word i want her room. looks great! thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chrissy - thank you so much for following! Love your blog!

    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  18. love, Love, LOVE this! Literally gasped when I saw the after!

    I would be thrilled if you would link this up at my very first Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL...going on right now (250 + links and growing...can you tell I'm excited??! : ))

    http://www.fivedaysfiveways.com/2012/01/feature-friday-free-for-all-1.html

    P.S. I'm your newest follower. : )

    ~Abbie (www.fivedaysfiveways.com)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Abbie - thank you so much for following the blog! I <3 your blog! Great stuff! I'm your newest follower as well!

    Ps. Great name. ;)

    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  20. I stalk 'Tip Me Tuesday' like a mad woman, but don't think I've ever seen your blog here before. I think if I had I'd have been a follower long before now! The room is beautiful....heck, I'D like to have it! But what I really love is that you gave your daughter choices and not "free range" on the whole thing! You are so right, it's her room, but she's 8! And if we don't guide them, how do they learn? Bravo, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't believe no one asked you this, where can I find the gray!! Caught you goggling the 60-30-10 rule and was so pleased to see this example! I want a warm "neutral" for all over house color, and I think this might be IT! I also love Tofino Blue from Kwal, saw it in a tour of homes...wow. I think they would be a great compliment. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris - so happy you love the color! I fell for it just browsing through the valspar colors at Lowes. It's called urban sunrise. :). Have fun with the 60-30-10 rule!!

      Abigail

      Delete
  22. Excellent, I will! So nice to see it on a wall, really let's you know if you can go the distance with a color!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love it! could you help me with my room? itsthefashionista.blogspot.com is the blog domain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lizzie,

      So sorry for replying to late!! I took a 3 month blog break to gather a bit more inspiration for future projects. I would love to help ANYONE with a room project. I'll be checking out your site in just a few. :)

      x0x0

      Abigail

      Delete