Saturday, May 25, 2013

Behind the Scenes: Formal Living Room Credenza


The Formal Living Room was the latest project that I've shared with you.  Today, I'd like to show you how to make a regular paint makeover extra special.  I absolutely love how mine turned out because it literally cost me close to zero dollars out of my pocket.  Just a little time and patience was all I spent.




I found this on KSL Classifieds for FREE (I heart that word) in Morgan, Utah.  It's about 30 years old, made out of particle board and laminate sheeting - It was ugly, BUT as I always do - I looked past the superficial points and saw the potential: this sucker was heavy and in good shape.  This may last another 30 years!




The problem I was trying to hurdle was that I wanted the "wood grain" to be visible after painting.  Since there is no actual wood grain on laminate sheeting, I had to improvise...


Elmer's Glue All is a wonderful wonderful invention

I decided to make my own wood grain effect, but a raised and not inverted one.  I traced and made my own grain lines with Elmer's Glue All that I found in a random kitchen drawer and allowed it to dry overnight.


Whenever trying something new, I'm always crossing my fingers that my "brilliant" idea will work.
Sometimes they're not so brilliant after all.

 The next morning I was disappointed because I couldn't see the glue anymore, but then pleasant surprised when I realized it dried clear.  (Duh moment)  I primed with cover stain primer (VERY IMPORTANT to use cover stain instead of regular primer for laminate surfaces) and painted with leftovers from other projects.


A definite must for me for another project sometime in the future.

I decided to paint the inside of the drawers too.

This will be my new storage for smaller Christmas ornaments so I won't have to lug everything back down to storage year after year.




Have you given new life to an old and tired credenza recently?  I want to see!


Coming Soon...

Mish Mash Part 2: Dining Room Reveal


xoxo,

~*Abigail*~

No comments:

Post a Comment